- ■ Class-leading Grand Feel Compact wooden-key keyboard action
■ Ivory Touch key surfaces, triple sensor, let-off, counterweights
■ Progressive Harmonic Imaging sound with 88-key sampling
■ Shigeru Kawai SK-EX & Kawai EX concert grand piano sounds
■ Audio technologies developed in collaboration with Onkyo
■ Integrated Bluetooth MIDI wireless technology
■ Built-in classical etudes and Alfred lesson books
■ Spatial Headphone Sound for enhanced depth and realism
■ Cheekblock control panel with high resolution OLED display
■ Attractive, modern cabinet with cheekblock control panel
- Feel Inspired
- A piano that will encourage enthusiastic players to become accomplished pianists, and transform living rooms into grand concert halls. This is the ambitious philosophy behind Kawai’s latest Concert Artist series – premium instruments that capture the essence of playing a magnificent concert grand piano, and inspire musicians of all ages and abilities to realise their true artistic potential.
- The Touch of a Grand Piano: Grand Feel Compact wooden key action
- With an emphasis on piano-focussed authenticity, the CA49 utilises the superb Grand Feel Compact wooden-key keyboard action. As its name suggest, the GF Compact action has been designed to reproduce the authentic touch weight characteristics of the industry-leading Grand Feel keyboard actions, within a smaller form factor.
- This action retains the long wooden keysticks used for all 88 black and white keys, and the familiar ‘seesaw’ mechanism employed by acoustic grand piano actions for centuries. However, despite its smaller unit size, GF Compact features an extended key pivot length, providing a more consistent touch weight when playing towards the rear of the keyboard. This crucial detail, along with various other acoustic piano-like characteristics, ensures the CA49 delivers the most realistic playing experience in its class.
- Bass key Counterweights
- In addition to grade-weighted hammers, the Grand Feel Compact keyboard action also features counterweights attached towards the front of the bass keys.
As with an acoustic piano, these finely balanced weights help to lighten the touch of the keyboard during pianissimo passages, while adding a feel of greater substance when playing with force.
- Triple sensor key detection
- The Grand Feel Compact keyboard action utilises an accurate triple-sensor key detection system for enhanced playing realism.
The added third sensor improves responsiveness when playing the same key repeatedly, and unlike conventional two sensor keyboard actions found in many digital pianos, allows the sound of a single note to be gradually ‘layered’ without the previous tone being lost.
In addition, Kawai’s action technology also monitors the speed at which each key is lifted, influencing the release character of piano sounds, and providing a greater range of expression between staccato and legato playing.
- Ivory Touch key surfaces
- The impressive CA49 features Kawai’s highly regarded Ivory Touch key surfaces as standard. This finely textured material gently absorbs fingertip perspiration and oils to assist playing control, and possesses a natural, matte finish that is smooth but not slippery.
Furthermore, this moisture is absorbed without dirt or grease permeating the surface, allowing the keytops to be wiped clean easily using just a damp cloth.
- Let-off Simulation
- As the most authentic digital piano keyboard action in its class, Grand Feel Compact even reproduces the ‘let-off’ characteristic of acoustic piano actions.
This subtle ‘notch’ sensation can be felt when playing the keys of a grand piano very gently, and may be used by experienced pianists to aid control when playing pianissimo passages.
- The Sound of a Grand Piano: Two world-class instruments
- Earning a reputation as the ‘premier pianos of Japan’, Shigeru Kawai instruments grace the stages of concert halls and musical institutions throughout the world, and are prized for their outstanding tonal clarity and exceptional dynamic range.
The CA49 captures the magnificent tone of the flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX concert grand piano. This peerless instrument is hand-built by Master Piano Artisans at the Shigeru Kawai Piano Research Laboratory in Ryuyo, Japan, and widely regarded as one of the finest instruments in its class.
In addition, the CA49 also features the distinctive sound of Kawai’s highly acclaimed EX concert grand piano, which has been selected by professional pianists in such prestigious events as the Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Rubinstein international piano competitions, among others.
Both the SK-EX and EX are faithfully reproduced with full 88-key sampling using advanced Harmonic Imaging™ sound technology, to establish a new standard in digital piano tonal quality, and allow musicians to appreciate the contrasting properties of each.
- Full 88-key stereo piano sampling
- The rich, expressive sound of the SK-EX and EX concert grand pianos is at the heart of the CA49, with all eighty-eight keys of these world-class instruments painstakingly recorded, meticulously analysed, and accurately reproduced as high-fidelity digital waveforms.
Recording each key individually in this way – as opposed to stretching the same tone over several different notes – preserves the grand pianos’ unique harmonic character, and guarantees that the sound heard when playing any one of the CA49’s wooden keys is a faithful representation of the original acoustic source.
- Harmonic Imaging technology
- When playing a fine piano, the amount of pressure applied to the keyboard affects not only the volume of the sound produced, but also the unique tonal character of each note. Therefore, in order to construct a realistic acoustic portrait of each grand piano, not only is each key recorded individually, but also at a wide variety of different volumes, ranging from gentle pianissimo to thunderous fortissimo.
The CA49 offers a highly detailed acoustic portrait, employing Kawai’s proprietary Progressive Harmonic Imaging sampling technology to ensure smooth tonal transitions across the keyboard and throughout the entire dynamic range.
- Personalised piano adjustments
- The knowledge and skill of an experienced piano technician is essential to bring out the best of a fine acoustic piano. In addition to tuning each note, the technician also performs numerous regulation and voicing adjustments that allow the instrument to truly sing.
The CA49’s Virtual Technician ‘Smart Mode’ simulates these refinements digitally, with ten preset configurations that intelligently adjust various characteristics of the grand piano to match different musical styles.
For greater flexibility, ‘Advanced Mode’ allows players to perform touch weight and voicing adjustments, regulate hammer and key release noises, and fine-tune string and damper resonances using the dedicated Virtual Technician iPad app.
- Premium audio technologies, powered by Onkyo
- Developed in collaboration with Onkyo, one of Japan’s leading premium audio equipment manufacturers, the CA49 features a redesigned motherboard and audio delivery system. These premium components combine to deliver best-in-class audio quality, producing an extremely rich, clear sound with minimal distortion.
- Onkyo designed sound hardware
- The CA49 motherboard and its sound hardware are designed for precise signal conversion and optimum sound quality. Onkyo’s unrivalled knowledge and experience in producing premium audio components ensures clear, high-fidelity sound with minimal distortion.
- Powerful 4-speaker output system
- The CA49 boasts an impressive 4-speaker output system, with lower range frequencies delivered through the underside of the instrument, and mid and high frequencies projected outward via front-facing speakers. The result is a broad, resonating tone that closely mirrors the immersive sound field of a grand piano.
- The Variety of a Digital Piano: Convenience & Flexibility
- Complementing the instrument’s class-leading Grand Feel Compact wooden-key keyboard action and Progressive Harmonic Imaging piano sounds, the CA49 also offers a variety of convenient digital features that further enhance one’s musical enjoyment.
A selection of different instrument voices, built-in lesson songs, and the ability to record and playback performances are just some of the features accessible from the cheek-block control panel, with built-in Bluetooth® functionality for connecting to smart devices wirelessly.
- Additional sounds & playing modes
- Supplementing the beautiful acoustic piano voices, the CA49 also features a modest selection of additional sounds, ranging from electric pianos and drawbar or church organs, to strings, human choirs, and synth pads, inviting musicians to add greater variety to their performances.
Furthermore, the Dual playing mode also allows two different sounds, such as grand piano and strings, to be layered together, while the Four Hands mode divides the keyboard into two independent 44-key sections. This feature is particularly useful in learning environments, allowing teacher and student (or student and student) to play together at the same time using a single instrument.
- Built-in lesson function
- The CA49’s convenient lesson function allows aspiring pianists to learn piano with classical Czerny, Burgmüller, Chopin, and Beyer etudes, or collections of songs from the popular Alfred’s Basic Piano course books.
The left and right hand parts of each etude/song can be practiced separately, using the adjustable metronome feature to perfect timing in difficult passages, before recording the completed piece for self-evaluation.
* Notated scores and Alfred lesson books sold separately.
- Integrated Bluetooth® connectivity
- In addition to standard USB and MIDI ports, the CA49 also boast integrated Bluetooth MIDI technology, allowing the digital piano to communicate with supported smart devices wirelessly.
Once paired with a phone, tablet, or laptop, CA49 owners can easily expand the instrument’s functionality with a wide range of education, performance, and scoring apps. A dedicated Kawai Virtual Technician control app is also freely available, providing an enjoyable way to learn about and adjust various acoustic piano characteristics from an attractive touch interface, without the need for additional adaptors or cables.
* Availability of Bluetooth® function may vary depending on market area.
* For more information please refer to the Bluetooth MIDI Information support page.
- Grand Feel Pedal System
- Reinforcing the CA Series’ reputation as the most realistic digital pianos in their price range is Kawai’s Grand Feel Pedal System. This unique feature accurately replicates the position and individual weighting of the damper, soft, and sostenuto pedals of a Shigeru Kawai SK-EX concert grand piano to further enhance the CA49’s acoustic piano-like authenticity.
- Superior headphone experience
- The CA49’s Spatial Headphone Sound (SHS) technology enhances the depth and realism of the instrument’s sound when listening through headphones or earphones. The player can select one of three different acoustic presets that adjust the spatial positioning of the sound, while also helping to reduce auditory fatigue when using earphones or headphones for extended periods of time.
In addition, the CA49 also allows players to select a variety of headphone types (Open, Semi-open, Closed, In-Ear, Canal, etc.) for an optimised listening experience.
- Grand performance within a modern, attractive cabinet
- The CA49’s modern cabinet incorporates a rounded topboard and tapered leg design, with minimalist toe blocks for additional stability. Its flat fascia and tall upper board give the instrument a traditional, upright piano-like quality, while at just over 46 centimetres deep, the CA49’s compact body is suitable for apartments and other narrow spaces.
- Broad, adjustable music rest
- The CA49’s broad music rest is engineered to accommodate the most ambitious musical works, with a high-quality surface and attractive round design.
As with a grand piano, the viewing angle of the instrument’s music rest can be adjusted to suit the performer’s playing position, or laid flat for convenience when notating scores or sketching musical ideas.
- Cabinet Finishes
- The CA49 is available in three attractive cabinet finishes: Premium Rosewood, Premium Satin Black, and Premium Satin White, allowing musicians to coordinate their piano with a range of modern interiors.
* For a visual representation of the piano in each finish, please refer to the Gallery function at the top of this page.
* Cabinet finish availability dependent on market location.
|Keyboard||・ Grand Feel Compact action
– 88 wooden keys
– Grade-weighted hammers
– Ivory Touch white key surfaces
– Let-off simulation
– Triple sensor key detection
– Bass region counterweights
|Pedal||・ Grand Feel Pedal System
– Damper (with half-pedal support)
|Piano Sound||・ Progressive Harmonic Imaging (PHI)
– 88-key stereo sampling
– SK-EX, EX recording
– 192 note maximum polyphony
|Piano Resonance||– Damper Resonance
– String Resonance
|Piano Adjustment||・Virtual Technician (17 parameters, via control app)
– Touch Curve
– Damper Resonance
– Damper Noise
– String Resonance
– Key-off Effect
– Fall-back Noise
– Hammer Delay
– Decay Time
– Minimum Touch
– Stretch Tuning
– Temperament Key
– User Key Volume
– Half-Pedal Adjust
– Soft Pedal Depth
・Virtual Technician Smart Mode (10 presets)
|No. of Sounds||19 voices|
|Speakers||13 cm x 2 (woofers)
5 cm x 2 (tweeters)
|Output Power||40 W (20 W x 2)|
|Headphone Enhancements||Spatial Headphone Sound
|Display||128 x 128 pixel OLED|
|Key Cover||Sliding type|
|Music Rest||Collapsible type (3 angle adjustability)|
|Dimensions||Width||136 cm (53 1/2″)|
|Depth||46 cm (18 1/4″)|
|Height||91.5 cm (36″) [music rest flat]
108.5 cm (42 3/4″) [music rest flat]
|Weight||59 kg (128 lbs.)|
|Available Finishes||Premium Satin Black (CA49B)
Premium Satin White (CA49W)
Premium Rosewood (CA49R)
Low Volume Balance
|Internal Songs||Sound Demo||19 songs|
|Concert Magic||40 songs|
|Lesson Songs||Burgmüller 25 (25 Etudes Faciles, Opus 100)
Czerny 30 (Etudes de Mécanisme, Opus 849)
Beyer 106 (Vorschule im Klavierspiel, Opus 101)
Chopin Walzer (Chopin waltzes series 1-19)
Alfred’s Basic Piano Library Lesson Book Level 1A
Alfred’s Basic Piano Library Lesson Book Level 1B
|Internal Recorder||Total Memory||approximately 10,000 notes|
|No. of Songs||3 songs|
|Metronome||Time Signatures||1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/8, 6/8|
|Bluetooth *||Bluetooth (Ver. 4.1; GATT compatible)
Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI Specification compliant
|USB Audio Recorder||Record/Playback||–|
|Connector Jacks||Headphone||1 x 1/4″, 1 x 1/8″ Stereo jacks|
|MIDI||MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, Bluetooth MIDI *|
|USB to Host||✔|
|USB to Device||–|
|Power Consumption||12 W|
AC adaptor (PS-154)
|Bench||Fixed-height or height-adjustable bench *|
|Others||Warranty Card *